What is Hypnobirthing?
Updated: 3 days ago
It's fair to say the term Hypnobirthing is becoming more colloquial. Thanks to the likes of Meghan and Kate, ahem I mean the "Duchesses", they've put Hypnobirthing on everyone's radar.
While the media may have played it up, some articles will have ridiculed their birth choices, while others celebrated them, it's fair to say everyone has an opinion.
But what very few have, is first hand experience of real life Hypnobirthing techniques. With a journalist background I can assure you a great deal of media coverage is inaccurate, fabricated and misconstrued. Shocker!
So let me define "Hypnobirthing" for you. Here is my bitesize summary of the modern global phenomenon that is Hypnobirthing.
- Hypnobirthing is a birthing programme for women and their birth partners to prepare for birth.
- It looks at the female body, and how it is actually designed to give birth.
- The theory is your baby and your body know what to do - all you have to do is relax.
- Hypnobirthing involves breathing techniques to help you relax.
- When your mind is relaxed, your body is relaxed. When your body is relaxed, your mind is relaxed.
- Hypnobirthing evidence suggests a relaxed birth ends in a more positive outcome.
- If life throws a curveball Hypnobirthing gives you the ability to maintain control.
- A birth where you feel in control, no matter what turn your journey takes, is a positive birth.
- A good Hypnobirthing programme will educate you on 'choice'. It's your birth, your way.
This summary merely touches the surface, but what people don't realise is there is a lot of science to Hypnobirthing. It looks out our brain, our hormones and our primal reactions - they're all designed for birth. What they're not designed for is society conditioning us into thinking birth is something to be feared. When we fear birth, that's when things can go wrong.
My courses teaches you to let go of fear, retrain your brain and ensure your body responds to birth in a favourable way. These are things you can control. Hypnobirthing teaches you skills you'll use long after your birth.
Be ready motherhood! Join my Hypnobirthing Course today. For more information on all my upcoming courses, click here.
To get started on all that Relaxation how about downloading your FREE Relaxation MP3 to enjoy at home. All you have to do is sign up to The Birth Easy Club and you'll be the first to receive offers, news and all things bump and baby related.
I've got you!
Some other posts you might like...
Typically, when couples learn they're expecting a baby, they become consumed by an ever-growing shopping list.
So much time and thought is put into which pram to buy, the best car seat on the market, what colour to decorate the nursery.
Hypnobirthing is for Csections too... One of the biggest misunderstandings of hypnobirthing is that it is for women wanting a natural, pain-free, birth. While that's true to an extent, hypnobirthing is so much more than that. Hypnobirthing can help any mother prepare for her birth, regardless of what birth she will have, and yes, that includes c-sections.
One of my biggest pet peeves as a Birth Educator is hearing stories from dad and birth partners who rendered themselves "useless", "a spare part" as they "watched from the side lines" while loved ones agonise through labour. THIS IS SOOO NOT HOW BIRTH SHOULD BE